Linksys Extender Setup
Linksys wireless range extenders are being purchased by various people these days so that the existing home network can be extended. In order to successfully extend the network of your router, you need to perform Linksys WiFi extender setup. The same can be done via the instructions mentioned on this page.
What to Do Prior to Linksys WiFi Extender Setup?
Just so one can achieve Linksys extender setup success, it is important to keep certain things handy. This can be understood better by the below-given information:
- An active Internet connection
- The default WiFi name as well as the WiFi password.
- A damage-free Ethernet cable
If you have all these things ready, setting up the Linksys wireless range extender via extender.linksys.com will become quite easy for you.
How to Do Linksys Extender Setup in Access Point Mode?
STEP 1: Plug your Linksys wireless range extender into a power socket. It is recommended that you wait for some time until the lights start blinking orange.
STEP 2: Gain access to an Ethernet cable and use it to connect the extender to the host router. Depending on the extender mode that you are using, hold on and let the light turn green. Do not proceed further if this does not happen.
STEP 3: Switch on your device and make it join the network of the Linksys extender. For this, you need to access LINKSYS EXTENDER SETUP-XXX in the network list, enter the WIFI password, and click the CONNECT button.
STEP 4: Open an internet browser on your computer and enter extender.linksys.com in the location bar of the browser. In case extender.linksys.com does not load, then look up the default IP address in the user manual and enter it.
STEP 5: Click the Start Setup button.
STEP 6: Under the AS A WIRED RANGE EXTENDER [ACCESS POINT] option, click the NEXT button. Create a unique WIFI NAME that you want your Linksys range extender to broadcast. You need to decide on one for 2.4 GHz and another for the 5GHz radio band.
STEP 7: Create an admin password for your extender and then hit SAVE. In case, you are afraid of forgetting the password in the future, feel free to add a PASSWORD HINT.
STEP 8: At last, register your product by entering the EMAIL ID and selecting FINISH.
In this manner, you will be able to complete the Linksys extender setup process in Access Point mode. Now, you can access the internet on all your client devices by connecting them to the network name of the wireless range extender.
Access Web-Based Setup Page after Linksys Extender Setup
The last section talked about how one can configure a non-configured extender. This one discusses the steps to access an already configured extender. In this method, you need the IP or web address of the extender to access its web-based setup page.
- Click the START button and hit FILE EXPLORER.
- Select NETWORK on the left pane and click the icon of the Linksys range extender.
- Click VIEW DEVICE WEBPAGE.
- Now, you will find yourself on the web-based setup page.
- Leave the USERNAME field BLANK.
- Enter ADMIN in the PASSWORD field.
- Click either OK or LOGIN.
- Soon you will be able to access the Linksys WiFi extender setup page.
- Start the process by clicking START WINDOWS and then MY NETWORK PLACES.
- After right-clicking the extender’s icon, click PROPERTIES.
- Load a browser and enter extender.linksys.com or the IP address in the URL field.
In case the right-click options also include the VIEW DEVICE WEBPAGE option, then it is suggested that you click that option instead of PROPERTIES and skip to the fourth step.
- You will be asked to enter the username and password of the extender.
- Enter ADMIN in the PASSWORD field and leave the USERNAME field BLANK.
- Select LOGIN and wait for the main dashboard to appear.
Now you can change various settings of your wireless range extender. Some examples include channel width, security mode, and enabling SSID broadcast. To learn more about which all settings you can change on your extender, it is recommended that you refer to the user manual of your networking device that you received at the time of purchase.